Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Man at Dairy Queen

The lack of posts tells you that my type-A lawyer job has been keeping me quite busy.  But today, I had a chance to see what the Diva has been up to for the past few weeks.  And boy, did it shove my OCD into overdrive!
The truth is, the Diva is doing great.  She has joined a gym, her summer PCAs take her swimming, she is losing weight and she is being social.  She is happy and busy.  The hard part (for me) is that, when I ask her about her day, her explanations are somewhat limited and generally unreliable.  Yes, I have an example.

A few weeks ago, the Diva got a DQ giftcard from a teacher in honor of her graduation.  Tonight I asked her where the giftcard was.  She told me that she gave it to a man at Dairy Queen.  I asked her how much money was on it.  She said $2,000.00.

Uh huh.

I text her PCA, who tells me that the Diva told her one day, hey let's go to DQ - I have this gift card!  There was enough money that they went a few times.  But now the Diva can't find it, although the PCA thinks there wasn't much left.  For the faithful readers out there, I hate hate hate it when I lose things.  Multiply that by 10 when the Diva loses something.  But it gets better.

I then learn that the Diva lost her temporary membership card to the gym.  I asked the Diva where that card went.  She said she gave it to the man at Dairy Queen. 

This man at Dairy Queen is making out like a bandit, what with his membership to Lifetime and a $2,000 giftcard.

In the moment, when I'm trying to figure out what happened, these explanations make me want to scream, cry and otherwise shake the answers out of her.  Which is why I have to blog about them - to therapeutically help myself laugh about the Dairy Queen Man and my stupid insistence on caring about the expenditure of a (likely) $20 DQ giftcard. 

When I take a step back, I think how proud I am that the Diva used the giftcard in a socially appropriate way.  And how nice it is that the people at Lifetime were familiar enough with the Diva that they just gave her a new membership card without any fuss.  And how much the Diva has grown up.  By the time I'm done blogging, my frustration and "need to know" attitude is replaced with heavenly peace and a little bit of wine.

I mean, life is just too short to worry about whereabouts of a $1,980.00 DQ gift card... right?   


(A picture of my grown-up Diva from Prom 2013)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment