Monday, October 15, 2012

Homecoming




It was a fairy tale weekend. Riding in the Homecoming Parade in a firetruck with the cheerleaders; going to the Homecoming Dance and slow-dancing with your brother-dad-guardian-person; and hangin' with your fellow divas late into the night...what more could a girl ask for her senior year?

The evening called to mind an "anniversary" of sorts. Last year, Homecoming represented a first for all three of us - not only had the Diva never been to a Homecoming dance, but Husband and I had never been to a social function with other HSS* parents. It was a new and intimidating event for all three of us.

I often tell people that HSS is great because the Diva has a larger, more "normal" peer group. The same group of girls are in Sparklers together, play in after-school soccer, and attend weekend social events. She had many beloved friends at Rural City School, but no group of similarly-situated kids that did life together. And it didn't occur to me until recently that Husband and I had been missing out on peer interaction as well! It has been a real treat to be part of such a fun and supportive network of Parents. It reminds me how important it is to stay connected as a parent of a diva or dude with special needs.

A hometown friend told me that she directed a special mom to the blog - the mom just learned that her baby girl is a Diva. I have thought and prayed for you, dear friend, and as I write today I feel compelled to dedicate this post to you. As someone who only recently learned the value of parent-peers, I strongly recommend you make it a priority to find a group that can celebrate (and commiserate!) with the unique job of raising a Diva. Readers (all 12 of you), join me in a short prayer for this special mom:

Lord, please remind this special mom that ALL things work together for good to those who love God, and are CALLED according to His purpose - let her know today that you have fully equipped her for this calling in her life, and that she is fulfilling a very special purpose. Give her the strength and joy to get up each morning, and a loving community of people to pray her to sleep at night. Amen.

And as a side-note, don't think that just because you aren't officially a member of the Diva-parent-club (we understand, the membership fee is pretty high) that you can't be an invaluable resource to your Diva-parent-friends. Diva-moms need breaks, adult conversation, and encouragement. I still remember the mom who walked the Diva to school every morning because I had to start work at 7:30 a.m.; the friend who took the Diva to basketball games so I could have a date night with my Husband,; or the meal lovingly brought to my home after I had a slight temper tantrum at church (a story for another day). Trust me, even the smallest gift of time is supernaturally multiplied into the biggest of blessings.

Thank you, all you special people out there, who make my life a little bit easier so I can be a little bit better of a mom to my Diva. I know I couldn't do this without God working through you.

* Huge Suburban School

No comments:

Post a Comment